Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Pulling up

Hello all. I'm sorry I am a day late on this weeks post. Yesterday was a bit hetic. I had my first presentation for school and I was horribly sick. I swear Bess brings home the flu at least once a month! And shares...

Guess what JJ did yesterday? He pulled himself up to standing in his crib, then up on the couch, twice! He is growing to fast. This means we need to lower his crib. This suck as it means it is harder to place him down once he falls asleep as we walk him around the apartment. Yep, that is how we get him to sleep now. Endless walking for about 10 to 20 minutes.

Because of our concerns over his weight and not being happy with the answer the doctor gave us we called a childrens nurse and scheduled a home visit. It was great, she listened to our concerns and gave us some tips. She was concerned that he was just not getting enough calories from me and that he was not drinking enough formula (we could barely get him to drink 4 or 5 oz a day. No where near the minimum amount). She suggest that we cut off breastfeeding all together because he was probably not drinking formula because he knew he would be getting breast as some point anyways.

As you all know, I am not ready to give up breastfeeding, so we cut it down to only giving him breast at bed time and no other time. You know what, it worked. He still isn't drinking all the formula he should be, but he is drinking much more than he was. However, just about a week later my milk supply is almost completely gone. I think I only have a couple more days before it ends  all together.

The nurse also told us to not worry so much about how much he drinks. JJ loves to eat food, so as long as we make sure he is eating a variety of food he should be perfectly fine. He is a happy boy and hitting all his milestones very early (just like his sister) (did I mention he can also put himself into a seated position now!) so we really have nothing to worry about. So that is the end of that.

It feels good to have one weight lifted off our shoulders. Now we just need to work on him sleeping longer periods at night (more than 1 to 1.5 hrs). The nurse gave us tips for this too! She told us to try and get him out of the bedroom, but not in a room with Bess. So we moved his crib to the living room. I think this nurse may know something! JJ is sleeping much better. He is now only getting up about 3 times at night, which is a huge improvement to the 5 or 6 that is was. AND this morning, after he woke up, I fed him, put him back down in his crib awake, left, closed the door, he gave a cry of protest. One little cry, and that was it. I haven't heard from him since.




Apartently he just needed his own space to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment