Monday, August 29, 2011

Missing Family

I miss my family back in Canada all the time. Most of the time it is just a dim missing, there but not something focused on. However, then there are times like these. All the stress with the children has really made me wish I was closer to my family. But the untimely passing of my uncle last night makes me feel like a bit of salt has been rubbed into an open wound.

I did not know my uncle well, but I knew him enough to know that he was my favorite uncle. I don't even know why. Every time (the very few times) I spent time with him there was always a calmness about him. At least that is what I remember. It is really the not remembering and the not knowing that really bother me.

Is this what I am setting up my kids for by living in another country? Not knowing thier aunt and uncle enough. Feeling regretful that they never got to know them better? Feeling as if they have missed out on something?

I do not what my children to someday feel the way I do today. I will make sure they get to know thier family in Canada, even if we can not visit that often. Thank goodness for video calls. They make the gap a little bit smaller.

1 comment:

  1. so sorry to hear about your uncle :( i miss my family terribly, at least we are in the same country, but montana seems so far away from where we live in michigan.

    ReplyDelete